Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Cake

I found a recipe for a fondant that did not require cooking. Made it two days ago. Rolled it out tonight three or four times then couldn't get it off the counter to put on the cake. Tried a big spatula, my rolling pin, all tore it up. Then I thought of a tube from a roll of wrapping paper and bingo! I was thrilled and so pleased with myself.
Used cocoa to dye some to make pieces of Apollo's food for the border. Dyed the yellow and blue with food coloring paste.

Painted with my food paste....some of it wasn't quite thin enough and frankly I was/am tired....it's almost 2:30 a.m. now but I am pleased. BigBoy watched the beginning of my 'sculpturing' and aided with the mouth a bit. It was his request to have 'Apollo' on there and specifically wanted a bulldog cake. Never seen a guy love a dog so much. He also so me begin the border but has long gone to bed. I have been wanting to try fondant for years. Now, pray nothing sags or slides off by morning. Nine hours, or was it ten of volleyball today, team tied for third. They are ranked third in state in our division, 3A!!!!! Reunion tomorrow, making potato salad in morning, cooked potatoes tonight.


8 comments:

  1. OMG this is wonderful. You sculpt too. Too cute to eat. I bet there won't be a scrap leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that cake! how in heavens name did you do it? I understand the bones, but the dog face is just awesome!
    love the video of the wagging stumpy tail...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY COW/DOG!! This is the most amazing cake I have ever seen!!! Girl, this is definately where your talent screams! Forget art shows, you need to work in a bakery as a food artist!! Seriously. I can't believe you are going to eat it; I would freeze it for all time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the most amazing cake I have ever seen. Wow It is AWESOME. you are missing your calling.
    I scrolled down and saw Apollo on the cake and went OHHHHHHHHHHHH.. not knowing my DH was at the door and he popped in and saw it and went WOW..THATS GOOOOOD. So you got two giant thumbs up here. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I AM BLOWN AWAY..this is superduper and so talented. gosh and goly gee, i bet bb loved it and you too for doing it, i agree this is your talent girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fabulous job on this! Wow! So when do you open your cake decorating business? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm tired just reading about your days/nights, but that cake is AMAZING! I can't believe my eyes!
    We have that deli over here that I spoke about in an old post that does some pretty amazing looking cakes. I showed a picture or two in that post. Your cakes could easily surpass theirs in the looks dept.! Do you really cut into your cakes? wow.

    ReplyDelete