Saturday, March 22, 2008

Seeping Into The Skin of My Hands

VolleyGirl and I just made a pie....somewhat. I can't believe I didn't take a photo of it and I have covered it and placed it in the freezer. My mother-in-law requested that I bring a pie for the Easter dinner tomorrow. In the past couple of years I have brought some very well liked and somewhat impressive desserts over for the meals, so I felt like I had to find something new and really, really good. Got my rep to think of, you know? Bookmama has had a taste of my desserts and some other dishes I prepare and has her favorites. My coconut cream pie, that is out of this world was not an option, my m-i-l was making a coconut cake, besides, I've made that for them. So I searched my books and magazines and the internet for that recipe that would leave a mark, but it was not to be found. I did hit the jackpot for my next cake to make however, quite by accident too. My m-i-l had given me a whole box of cookbooks that she had cleaned out of her kitchen and I surfed through most of them and narrowed it down to two or three. Do I go lemon, which BigBoy loves, truffle, VolleyGirl loves? The one I chose is really very simple, which is fine, but I do like the challenge of one complicated and one, perhaps, no one else wants to go to the trouble with. It is in one of the cookbooks that apparently came from SuperSpouse's grandmother's book since I read it signed to her. It is called simply Ice Cream Delight. Prepared in a springform pan, graham cracker crust, layer of chocolate ice cream, followed by a layer of coffee ice cream and another of the chocolate. Top it off with crumbled Heath Bars and drizzle with chocolate syrup. That sounded good to me. Different from what we usually have. A nice twist on ice cream in a bowl with syrup. VolleyGirl and I commenced to the task and there.... waiting..... the crumbled up bars and syrup. I had more than enough of them. Heath bars are hard to find, I have found out a few years back. About the only way to get them is a big of the small ones. Ahhh, Target had them today, 2 for $4, and I needed 8 bars, of course I bought two. I knew I would not put the entire can of Hershey's syrup on the top. Told VG we were going to ratchet it up a bit. In between the three layers of ice cream we sprinkled some of the candy and drizzled a bit of the syrup, not alot, just a nice little surprise in the middle! Oh how I could feel the calorie-laden creaminess of tastebud heaven seeping through the very skin of my hands as I worked to evenly distribute and level the layers of lusciousness. The finale on top was solidly covered with the tasty toffee bar bits and severely drizzled with syrup. Loosely covered, and stored with care in the freezer. I will let you know if it is another winner.
More to come later on the adventures of a Spring Break at home: If you can't go to the water, let it come to you!

Happy Easter
May God Bless You

No comments:

Post a Comment